Un Verano en San Cris: Week Four

On Tuesday, Melissa and I went to the Yabteclum community. We drove up through the mountains and arrived at a local church, where one of the Cántaro teams checked up on a Mark OS system that was donated to the community. The team replaced the filters and guided the community leaders on how to operate and maintain the system. They were committed to learning as much as possible and thanked us afterward with lunch. We drove further up and arrived at a local school, where Cántaro built new restrooms and a water bottle refilling and cleaning system. It was amazing to see how the kids engaged and took the initiative to create action plans for themselves. They took on roles to ensure that the students were drinking safe water and practicing good hygiene.

Mark OS system in Yabteclum church

Water bottle refilling and cleaning system in school

One highlight for me was that I tried Indian food for the first time ever. After trying a couple of dishes, I can say that it’s in my top 3. I got the garlic naan, chicken makhani, and kheer. I think the makhani reminded me a lot of the guisados that my mom makes at home, and the kheer was very similar to arroz con leche!

Garlic naan and chicken makhani

Kheer dessert

Another highlight was our visit to the Mercado de Claridad y Santo Domingo. The handmade crafts were beautiful, and we were mind blown by the variety we saw there. I personally bought a lot of bags for the tías back home.

Lastly, I got to attend San Cristóbal’s first official Pride parade! We filled the streets with color, music, and messages of love. One of my favorite chants was “¡No que no, sí que sí, ya volvimos a salir!”

The 1st official Pride in San Cris

At San Cristóbal’s Pride

‘Til the next blog!

One Response

1. Jorge Loyo at |

Ana, thank you so much for sharing, I really enjoy reading your posts every week! And it was a very eventful week, seeing first hand Cántaro’s work in communities San Cris and trying Indian food for the first time! The Pride parade seems like a lot of fun and pretty big, a few years ago it was only a handful of people, and now it’s even an official event, so cool! Thank you again for your updates!

Reply